Thursday, November 20, 2008

Lilith Spirit Vessel


And so to the next stage of the grimoire of Liber Lilith - the spirit vessel.

This one's really going to test my artistic talents, and even the first step's proving to be a challenge! The Spirit Vessel is a clay figure model of Lilith with a hollow center. Into the center, the 'True Image of Lilith' must be inserted, drawn in 'special' ink on Papyrus. Luckily(?), I happen to live two blocks from the only shop in L.A. that sells blank sheets of Papyrus. They got them in only two weeks ago from Egypt as a special order for a local artist. I spent an evening drawing a re-drawing the design from Tyson's book. It's the first time I've tried drawing with a calligraphy pen, (really just a nib on a stick dipped in ink), so three or four early attempts were lost to blotches and smears. When I finally figured out how to keep a line going, it took another three or four attempts to get something even remotely resembling the design. Anyway, this is where I ended up. It's about three inches square. Hopefully She won't hold the artistry against me!

This weekend, it's on to the real challenge - my first attempt at figure sculpting...

No comments: